IF YOU TEACH IT. . .

We have all heard the prediction, “If you build it, they will come,” well portrayed in the movie “Field of Dreams.”A wonderful little book titled, “Flight Plans,” by Mary Jo Koch, prescribes, “Follow your bliss, but make a flight plan.” Dreams and bliss are wonderful to entertain, yet for many are out of reach because they do not know HOW to build it or HOW to develop a flight plan. My mantra is, “If you teach it, they will learn!”

The “it” in my statement refers to SKILLS – language and learning skills. If we teach students of all ages HOW to learn, they WILL learn the content as an outcome and know strategies for continued success. Curiously, content continues to drive most educational programs to the detriment of millions of learners who CAN learn but lack the tools to do so. When taught WHO they are as learners, and WHAT skills they need in order to understand and integrate the content, these same frustrated learners BUILD confidence and MAKE a flight plan that allows them to soar.

I have been puzzled for years by the disconnect that exists when teachers present content curriculum materials to students without teaching them the skills they need to learn the content. Bright capable learners who can abstract, generalize, visualize and take in so much from their environments simply may not intrinsically have the skills to do what is asked of them in our classrooms. I propose that it is OUR responsibility as educators to assure that EVERY student is able to fulfill dreams and follow his/her bliss by teaching them HOW to do so…..to ignore this responsibility is to devalue tremendous human potential.

Submitted by Bob Broudo, Headmaster of Landmark School

About these ads

10 Responses to IF YOU TEACH IT. . .

1. Allison says:

Great first blog entry by el capitan!

2. Mark Minton says:

The comments/reflection certainly resonates with our educational experience and is why I’m so happy that my child is at Landmark. Thank you!

3. Wesley says:

I like the picture!

4. Karen Trulli says:

Love this idea. Looking forward to the next blog…..

5. Glad you like it. We’ve credited you in the “About” section of the blog. Hope you are doing well and still taking photos. Come back and visit some time soon. Thanks and Happy New Year!

6. Mary Lawson says:

What a wonderful new blog I’m so glad you’ve started the conversation with the Landmark community. As a mother, a dyslexic myself and who has a daughter who graduated from Landmark in 2007, I would like to share with you a new discovery. Four years ago I started company that sent me on a journey to stay in the fight for the different learner. http://www.lifesapoodle.com. My husband and I were one of the lucky ones who were able to helped our daughter succeed in the academic world by offering her an environment like Landmark. She was given the opportunity of a college education and perhaps a life she would never would have known given her learning challenges. Thank you Landmark….knowing that only 2% of LD kids make it to a 4 year college or university according to the US dept. of Education.

I must share with you a life altering experience that has changed the course of my beliefs on how the different learner can learn and understanding cognitive strengthening. A few months ago I visited three of the Arrowsmith schools and became a believer of Barbara Arrowsmith’s life work. http://www.arrowsmithschool.org/index.html
    Please decide for yourself and consider learning more about the science of neuroplasticity and the Arrowsmith program. We all owe it to ourselves to keep learning new ways of understanding language based learning disabilities.

“Recognizing the relationship that exists between strengthening cognitive capacities and the acquisition of skills related to academics is an important step in ensuring that each child’s educational plan is designed for success.”
    – Howard Eaton, Ed.M. Eaton Arrowsmith School.” Vancouver, BC.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping my daughter succeed.

Mary Bryant Lawson

My favorite quote: “Children have the potential to achieve their dreams.
    We have the power to help them succeed.” – Unknown.

7. Lisamarie Manning says:

Amen Mr. Broudo! Looking forward to reading more posts.

8. rpnesper says:

Well said. I couldn’t agree more.

9. Bill Chamberlain says:

“… the disconnect that exists when teachers present content curriculum materials to students without teaching them the skills they need to learn the content …”.

This is an enormous issue; the questions asked tend to reflect that folks aren’t getting the point. I rarely see questions like, “How many minutes, out of 60, should be spent on Learning Skills?” or, “What percentage of time should be spent on Learning Skills each class period?” I figure these questions are not addressed because of one thing – they would lead to the elimination of a third of the content [variable of course]. No one wants to hear statements like that.

On a brighter note, research on Learning and the Brain has emphasized this disparity and is “pro” skills.